12.29.2015

Audrey's Coconut Flour Cake

This is such a great cake.  Easy and SO good.  I got the recipe from my lovely friend, Audrey, hence the name:)
Now I say easy but it took me 3 tries until I got it right.  My first mistake was melting the coconut oil in the microwave.  Big no-no.  Then I believe I rushed through the recipe.  You can't.  You must be patient and slow when adding the ingredients. So learn from my ooops and follow along and you too will make this sucker weekly! OK.  Maybe monthly :)

Recipe and notes:
1/3 Cup coconut oil
1/2 Cup cocoa powder (I use Trader Joes or Dutch from Tacoma Boys)
Mix these together in a small saucepan on low heat.  Stirring occasionally until lumps are gone.  Takes a couple of minutes.  Leave in saucepan and set aside.
In a mixer (or hand mixer):
6 eggs (beat on medium until mixed)
Add 1 Cup sugar (coconut sugar was good but organic sugar is what I use).  Mix.

Add to mixer:
1/4 tsp salt (recipe calls for 1/2 but I lowered to 1/4)
1/2 tsp pure vanilla (I love vanilla so I just pour Ha!)
Mix.
Slowly add the coconut oil and cocoa powder to the mixer.  Slowly or it will break.  Scrape the saucepan with a spatula and get all the powder/oil in the mix.
Now add 1/2 Cup coconut flour slowly while on medium.  I seriously take a lot of time adding that 1/2 cup of coconut flour.  Like, really a small bit at a time.  Then scrape sides of mixing bowl with a spatula and mix in any flour off of the sides.
Pour batter into an 8x8 pan with a small amount of coconut oil on the bottom.
Bake at 350° for 25 - 35 minutes. I have a hot oven and 25 minutes is perfect.  Just use a toothpick to check.
Once out of the oven it should have risen slightly.  The inside is somewhat gooey and fluffy.
Before long you'll be able to make this in your sleep.  Oh cake dreams.....

Batter ............. and done.

Thank you Audrey!  We love this cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment